Sunday, August 28, 2011

Kayaking

Deer Lake, Burnaby
Kealakekua Bay and Captain Cook Monument
My first time kayaking is in Hawaii. It is beautiful and the ocean is oh so warm -- there are brightly coloured tropical fish visible as you paddle and there is a possibility of seeing dolphins (... and sharks). It isn't just  kayaking but the means to get to Kealakekua Bay and Captain Cook Monument and do some snorkeling. So, this being my first time kayaking is the ideal.

As much as I have loved that experience, I have been somewhat skeptical of trying it here at home. The water is always oh so cold. I cannot imagine it being a pleasant experience if I am constantly splashed with cold water. So, I am quite surprised how much I enjoyed kayaking in Deer Lake in Burnaby yesterday evening. My girlfriends and I, armed with our Groupon started out around 6 pm for our two hour rental. They give us a quick lesson on how to paddle and off we go.

It is an easy and enjoyable activity. You can go as leisurely as you wish or go hard if you so choose. I circled the the lake very easily twice and just leisurely paddled the rest of the time enjoying the sunset while gossiping with the girls.

We loved it so much, that we have decided that this is something we would like to do regularly. (Oh, have I mentioned that the water is warm?)